Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Philippines Episode 1 — “Survivor Smacked Me in the Chops”
Here’s everything you need to know about what happened in Survivor: Philippines Episode 1 — “Survivor Smacked Me in the Chops” – who won the challenges, who was voted of, who played well, and who is on the outs. Feel free to add your notes, thoughts, and questions.
Aired September 19, 2012, covering day 1 through night 3
Immunity/Reward Challenge winners: Kalabaw (Immunity Idol and fire-making kit) and Tandang (Immunity Idol and flint)
- Introductions – Jeff says 3 tribes makes him a little nervous. Zane says he’s OK with 3 tribes as long as there’s no celebrities. When Jeff Probst announces the returning castaways, Roxy bites her lip and shakes her head. Mike recognizes Lisa immediately but doesn’t say anything.
- Supplies Up For Grabs – Tribes given 60 seconds after introductions to salvage supplies from boat to get put on their rafts. Tribes lose a lot of supplies trying to get them on the rafts. Jeff Kent fears he tore an MCL getting onto the raft and that it will get him voted off.
- No Leaders at Matsing – Russell claims that there will be no leaders on his tribe (at least not him), but immediately starts to tell people what to do. Malcolm steps up and says he lived in Micronesia for a year and knows a few things, and right away helps Russell create fire. Malcolm is glad it was Russell who gets the attention for creating the fire.
- Kalabaw is Short a Knee – Jeff Kent’s knee seems to be hurt and he seems sure it’s an MCL. Jeff immediately calls a tribe meeting without Jonathan and they all agree he doesn’t deserve to win and should be voted out as soon as possible.
- Bonding at Tandang – RC starts telling people she’s an executive assistant because of the stigma around bankers. She and Abi decide Pete is dumb and Abi begins flirting with him, which Pete picks up on immediately and recognizes for what it is. The three of them decide to form an alliance with Mike and don’t trust “the old lady” Lisa. RC approaches Mike and he accepts the alliance offer. He recognizes that the younger people “move fast” and he needs to as well or he’s in “big trouble”.
- Celebrities Outed – Sarah recognizes Jeff Kent and recognizes the value in confronting him about it when the information is most valuable. Lisa reveals she lost all of her Facts of Life money in bad investments. She doesn’t volunteer the information but does tell RC and Abi about her “mom ministry”. Mike wants Lisa to stay and feels more of a connection to her age-wise, and he confronts her about her identity.
- Zane Gets Around - Zane quickly forms alliances with Malcolm and Russell, Angie, Roxy, and Denise. He tells Malcolm and Russell about all of his other alliances.
- Hidden Immunity Idol Hunt – Katie calls Jonathan “dangerous” and notices that while the tribe has pretty much stuck together he has been off searching for the Hidden Immunity Idol. He deduces that the idol is in the bucket of rice but instead finds the first clue. Russell happens on the clue while scooping rice out for cooking and Zane sees him stick it in his pocket, not knowing exactly what it is. He confronts Russell, who says he doesn’t’ have it and if he found someone searching for it he would vote them out, making Zane think he does have it.
- Zane’s Zany Strategy – Zane throws himself under the bus, saying he is not built for this and deserves to be voted out, saying in a confessional that it is a ruse to feel out his tribe, inexplicably hoping that they will want to keep him as a hindrance than to keep Russell. After Angie and Malcolm ask Zane to stick it out, Zane assures Malcolm Russell has the Hidden Immunity Idol. Russell realizes he went into “chief mode” and that he may be in danger.
Friends & Foes:
- Malcolm and Angie agree early that Russell is dictating what happens in camp
- RC and Abi-Maria bond immediately
- Dana bonds with Jeff over their Southern similarities
- Malcolm and Denise form an alliance after they reveal secret alliances to each other, and Malcolm talks about how he doesn’t want to play in Russell’s shadow
- Roxy annoyed at Russell being selected to perform the puzzle at the challenge despite telling him she’s not good at puzzles, at which point he shushes her. Russell further annoys everyone with pep talks
- Angie begs Zane to stick with it and stay in the game
Episode summaries & commentaries:
What are your thoughts on this episode? Share them in the comments below!
Leave a comment
- LJ KO’D — The Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Cagayan Episode 8
- QUEEN MORGAN DETHRONED — The Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Cagayan Episode 7
- COPS AND CHAOS — The Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Cagayan Episode 6
- LINDSEY LETS GO; ALEXIS AXED — The Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Cagayan Episode 5
- CLIFF WHIFFS — The Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Cagayan Episode 4