Unofficial Guide to Survivor: Caramoan Episode 1 — “She Annoys Me Greatly”
Here’s everything you need to know about what happened in Survivor: Caramoan Episode 1 — “She Annoys Me Greatly” – who won the challenges, who was voted of, who played well, and who is on the outs. Feel free to add your notes, thoughts, and questions.
Aired February 13, 2013, covering day 1 through night 3
Opening Reward Challenge winners: Bikal (Favorites) – a basic wrestling match netted Bikal flint and 20 lbs. or beans.
Immunity Challenge winners: Gota (Fans) - despite Allie slowing them down a little, Reynold stepped it up in the bag-tossing round.
Eliminated: Francesca – Let’s ignore the most obvious question (whose favorite is Francesca, anyway?!) and identify Francesca’s downfall. Her mistake was being too loud too early and pushing too hard without having established herself as anything close to a leader or authority. Her inability to see past her personal vendetta against Phillip and go after the more obvious threat in Andrea only proved that she just does not have a head for this game and has no place among a collection of experienced players. Let us know how that rock tastes!
Doing It Right:
- Shamar – Shamar has seen this game before? Has he seen how miserable people are even with an adequate shelter in the middle of a storm? No matter – stepping in and heading up the Fire Starting Department made him the most valuable player in his tribe.
- Phillip – It’s like, Phillip is crazy, but he’s so confident and his alliance seems so confident in his plan (not to mention they loooooove those nicknames) that you can’t help but wonder if maybe he’s on to something this time. At the very least, his big move was only alienating two people – Francesca and Erik.
- Michael – We see it backfire more often than not when someone elects to keep their options open, but Michael looks, early on at least, that he might be going about it the right way. He might have put his fate into Matt and Matt’s ability to get along with others – maybe Shamar – though.
Doing It Wrong:
- Eddie – Ladies and gentlemen, Survivor: Caramoan’s resident airhead. He has turned the game into a popularity contest and it is already evident that they only thing he cares about at this point is style points.
- Cochran – Worst move? Not popping that huge zit on his nose after two days.
Friends & Foes:
- Matt vs. Shamar – Matt’s insistance on getting the shelter built didn’t sit well with Shamar, while Shamar sitting well didn’t sit well with Matt. It was enough to worry Reynold about team chemistry getting ready for the upcoming Immunity Challenge.
- Dawn, Andrea, and Francesca – Well, everyone has to start somewhere. Unfortunately for these ladies, this is about where they will finish, too.
- Reynold & Allie – Reynold claims to have the guys of the tribe on his side, but we’ll see how that works out once it becomes obvious that he’s got something going on the side with Allie. And if that didn’t happen when the shelter was a rockin’ on the first night, it will soon.
- Eddie & Hope – Eddie based his first alliance on them being the hotties on the island. Even better, when Eddie suggested Allie to join them, Hope agreed wholeheartedly, because Allie is pretty. This is deep.
- Michael, Sherri, Julia, & Laura – Reynold and Allie’s snuggling was offensive enough to repel these four into an alliance.
- Matt & Michael – Michael keeping his options open allowed him to strike up a bond with Matt, who shares his sense of humor. It looks like they have a decent idea how to keep this on the down-low.
- The episode ran 90 minutes instead of the normal 60.
Other Episode Coverage:
- Wikipedia’s episode summary
- Full episode video on CBS.com
- ‘Survivor: Caramoan’s’ Francesca Hogi: Phillip is ‘still a crazy person’ (ZAP2IT)
- Francesca Hogi on Making Show History (Hollywood Reporter)
- Exclusive: Francesca Hogi talks ‘Survivor: Caramoan — Fans vs. Favorites’ (Reality TV World)
- Francesca Hogi: I’m Really Bad at Survivor (People)
- ‘Survivor’ season premiere recap: Reign of Error (Dalton Ross @ EW)
What are your thoughts on this episode? Share them in the comments below!